New Smyrna Beach isn’t exactly know for its fine dining or world renowned chefs, but between Spanish River Grill, Boston’s Fish House and now Yellow Dog Eats, the culinary scene is definitely improving. During a recent beach trip we ventured over to Yellow Dog Eats in search of sandwiches and hopes of discovering a new favorite.
Led by Fish Morgan, a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, Yellow Dog Eats was born out of his natural talents and love for bringing people together over a meal. The New Smyrna Beach location isn’t oceanside, but the cozy courtyard and unique decor make up for any longings of a water view. Our meal was tasty and the service was friendly; here’s what we tasted and can’t wait to try next time.
- Classic Yellow Dog Club – Honey mesquite roasted turkey piled high with smoked Gouda cheese, pecan-smoked bacon, crunchy cucumber, crisp leaf lettuce and orange Cointreau mayo, served on thick sliced multigrain bread. A sandwich that exemplifies simplicity done right – the turkey is thinly sliced, piled between pillow soft bread and mixed with their orange Cointreau mayo. I mean really, why make a sandwich at home when you can order this beauty?
- Buffalo Soldier Tender – Smoked chicken, Jack Cheddar and Blue cheese crumbles, fresh shredded lettuce, vine ripened tomato, red onion, crispy cucumber slices, orange Cointreau mayo, jalapeno ranch and homemade buffalo sauce all come together in a southwest chipotle wrap. My hope was that this wrap would be spicy, but alsas the mildness was perfect. The wrap was juicy, tender and crisp in all the right ways. A unique take on a classic chicken wrap, if you want some extra spice ask for one of their housemade hot sauces.
To Try Next Time:
- Baa Baa BLT – Twist on a classic with smoked pancetta, vine ripened tomato, field greens, crispy watercress, pecan smoked bacon, savory goat cheese and orange Cointreau mayo, served on sliced multi grain bread. Spice it up with Sriracha mayo and try with their fig sauce.
- Hokey Pokey Ahi Tacos - Three flour tortillas layered with Hawaiian Pokey style Ahi tuna, Napa Bok Choy, guava cream cheese, scallions, mango cilantro salsa and drizzled with Cusabi buttermilk dressing. Served with tricolor tortilla chips and homemade salsa.
- Smokey’s Smoked Salmon Salad – Fresh salmon, dry rubbed with Yellow Dog’s seasoning blend and smoked to perfection. Served on a bed of field greens, garnished with cucumbers, grape tomatoes, carrots, sun-dried fruit & nut blend, sprouts, roasted red peppers, scallions and sliced red onions.
Yellow Dog Eats has two locations: 147 Canal Street New Smyrna Beach, Fla. 32168 and 1236 Hempel Ave. Gotha, Fla. 34786. For menu details and more info visit http://yellowdogeats.com/.